[mrtg] Madge Deskstream's

Kevin Hammond kevin at matrixtek.com
Wed May 30 16:49:37 MEST 2001

I have a few questions about using mrtg with Madge Deskstream's.  Has anyone
used this combination before?  I think the OID's are fine because I appear
to be getting data from the Deskstream's.  But ifType doesn't do anything as
well as ifDescr.  Since the Madge Deskstream is a token ring swith, each
port has a MAC address, so ifEth works for ifref.  But, this makes it quite
confusing on the generated html pages.  Right now I am using ifref=eth and
ifdescr=name.  But this solution is tedious because we have to go through
and name each port on the switch.  That is 240 ports to name.  In addition,
each port can be either 4,16, or 100 Mbps.  I haven't verified if the html
pages are reporting the correct amount of bandwidth available.  We would
like the graphs to be representative of what percentage of bandwidth is
being used on each port, but at the same time, being able to correlate that
bandwidth to a physical amount.

Would modifying the OID's do anything to get better data out of the
Deskstream's?  Am I doing anything wrong, or is the Deskstream limited on
its ability to report data to mrtg?

Thank You,
Kevin Hammond