[mrtg] ifSpeed on down ports on a Catalyst 3500xl or 2900XL switch
Daniel J McDonald
dmcdonald at digicontech.com
Mon Nov 5 17:34:39 MET 2001
A number of people have run into problems configuring mrtg on Catalyst
3500's and 2900's. This was due to a bug that set the ifSpeed value of
ports that were in a "down" state to zero.
A new version of code was released last week, 12.0.5WC2, which fixes the bug
(the bugid is CSCdu09410).
So, if you are trying to configure MRTG on 2900 or 3500 series catalyst
switches, you may want to consider an upgrade of IOS as a way of solving
Upgrading IOS on the 2900's and 3500's is a little different than on the
routers. This is due to the built-in gui management which has about 50
files associated with it on the flash. The procedure I use (from the
command line, of course) is:
1. Download the composite image from CCO (the one with the HTML files
included, it will have a .tar extension).
2. Delete all of the existing IOS images:
delete c35* (or delete c29*)
press return several times to confirm each delete.
3. Delete all of the existing html files:
hold down the return key for about 17 seconds to confirm all of the deletes.
4. use the tar command to download and unpack the new image and html files:
tar /x tftp://tftp-server-ip/c3500XL-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC.2.tar flash:
5. Check that there are no boot system commands to get the box confused.
6. Write the config and reload to get the new version of code up.
Anyway, I hope that helps someone.
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE 2495, CNX
Principal Network Specialist
Digicon, a Cisco Partner, Silver Certified.
Unsubscribe mailto:mrtg-request at list.ee.ethz.ch?subject=unsubscribe
FAQ http://faq.mrtg.org Homepage http://www.mrtg.org
More information about the mrtg