[mrtg] Re: Interpreting the graphs...recommendations

Hunt, Chris cjhunt at lehman.COM
Mon Nov 5 19:24:53 MET 2001

Gabriel,

I understand that you are trying to efficiently use the bandwidth and think
that's great use of this tool....

However, 3300 is a 24 port system if I recall correctly, so if you use one
uplink you're talking about up to 24 * 100 users sharing the port. You need
to review the number of MAC address entries that the switch can store
against each port, as exceeding that will result in the switch operating
inefficiently - it achieves it's switching function by relying on the
contents of the tables which say which ports have which devices connected...

My knowledge is a little limited here, but if the switch cannot find a MAC
address on one port, it might try sending on all ports??? I'm sure that
someone will correct me if I'm wrong?

Although, you might find that an "uplink port" whatever the 3300 provides
has a larger MAC table memory. you could use MRTG to look at switch memory
usage if there's a supported mib?

Regards,
Chris Hunt,
Lehman Brothers.