[mrtg] Re: GIF Output

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Nov 13 22:58:05 MET 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 Michael.Gorman at VerizonWireless.com wrote:

> Anyone know how to make mrtg output the image files in GIF?  I have a
> Solaris CDE network running an old Netscape version that does not understand
> PNG, and that is my user base.  Thanx.

You need to build it with the old gd libraries that support GIF.  This was
removed from the current libraries due to some potential licensing issues
with the GIF image format.

Support for GIF in the gd libraries has been withdrawn on the
http://www.boutell.com/gd/ site, and the indication there is that
requests for a GIF version will be ignored.

There may be some older gd libraries around, a Google search turned up
this site which is apparently for Windows but has a gd 1.3 source which
you might be able to build..
http://php.weblogs.com/php_gd

Alternatively try Google newsgroups or do some more digging.  Bottom line
is that you'll need to find a version of the gd libraries that supports the
GIF format, and beware of potential patent infringement issues with Unisys.
Although I'm not aware of anyone actually pressing this issue, you might
not want to be a test case.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323