[mrtg] Re: forking details

Adam Augustine adam_augustine at morinda.com
Thu Nov 15 01:39:46 MET 2001

There are a few things you can do to mitigate this problem.

MRTG queries in the order that targets are listed, so putting the big
targets at the end of the config file would assure that the smaller targets
get updated first, then it isn't as big a deal if you are waiting around for
the larger ones.

You could also lower the timeout on a global and/or per target basis, which
would also mitigate the problem. See the "SnmpOptions" and "Extended Host
Name Syntax" sections at
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/reference.html.

But really, I would crank the forks up to 10 or 20 or more. I don't think
the performance impact is going to be nearly bad as you think. I have my
forks set to 10 for a few hundred targets and running on a PII 333Mhz 128MB
RAM. The big impact for me is when the graphs are drawn (since I am using
MRTG w/o RRDTool), and even that isn't too bad. You wouldn't have that
problem since you are doing the 14all.cgi thing. The SNMP queries are just
waiting for responses after all, and that isn't consuming much RAM and
almost no CPU. I would suggest giving it a try and if it thrashes, just kill
the process and re-start it with a lower Forks setting. You wouldn't lose
more data than you are already losing.

You do raise a good point though, I haven't seen any discussion on the list
about how the Forks option works, and it would be very interesting to hear
what Tobi or someone else near to the code says about it.

Let us know how that works.

Adam