[mrtg] Re: MRTG tunneling

Lars Holmström lars.holmstrom at flysta.net
Fri Nov 16 21:35:53 MET 2001

Bob,

this is a problem very similar to what I have in one location. I need to extract
diskdata, CPU etc. on a remote machine, without enabling SNMP and did not like to
start a ftpserver either.

Since I am not intrested in very accurate timings, but rater trends for the remote
machine(s) I use the folloing method ;

First I extract the data on the remote machine I need for MRTG on the local host
by executing a few scripts via crontab. The files are sent to a directory of the
WEBserver on the remote machine. I fetch the files via an external script in MRTG
and MRTG get all its data with a delay of up to a maximum of 5 minutes. In your
case I would replace my "HTTP GET" with a TCP session that can either be left open
or opened every time you need the data.

/Lars