[mrtg] Interpretation question

Thurston, David DThurston at mvusd.k12.ca.us
Wed Nov 21 01:24:00 MET 2001

Hi All,

I've been running MRTG to monitor a number of instances on our NT/Cisco
network with great success, which in no small amount is due to all the
excellent info I glean from the users of this list. However, I am having an
interpretation problem with my NT 4.0/2K CPU graphs. As far as I know,
Microsoft only provides a single OID entry for monitoring CPU:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.2.1.3.3.48.58.48. Of course, I'm adding the OID
twice, per the two OID requirements of MRTG.

I've attached on of my graphs, and as you can see I'm getting appropriate
data, which is represented by the green graph. What I don't know how to
interpret is the wild fluctuations of the Blue line. Why the sudden dips
that don't correlate to any outages? Now, I'm no statistician, but I don't
think the blue line is reporting data worth reading, and, well, it just
looks strange, which makes explaining it away slightly awkward.

Any advice?

David Thurston
MVUSD <<CPUexh-day.png>>

-- Type: application/octet-stream