[mrtg] Reading a Guage counter?

Nick_Ellson at or.blm.gov Nick_Ellson at or.blm.gov
Fri Oct 12 00:13:02 MEST 2001

I wrote a perl script to read the output drops and errors from a cisco ATM
interface. (It parses the show interface atm3/0 command)

I set the option for this object to be a "guage" as suggested in the book,
but it doesn't seem to be working.

The script returns:
0
384
A dud message
A second Dud message

So I can see it giving a drop count of 384 which matches what I see in the
router. But the graphs are still at zero for current reading.

I wanted a graph that would steadily climb until I did a clear counters.
The SNMP variables for this are always incrementing.

Any ideas why?

Oh, the log for this interface is: (the drop count actually rose as I typed
this, 1506 is acurate)

1002837655 0 1506
1002837655 0 1506 0 1506
1002837641 0 1506 0 1506