[mrtg] Re: Any ethernet switch which always floods?

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Tue Oct 16 23:57:27 MEST 2001

SHOLAAS Margaret G wrote:

> Please excuse the not-obviously-related-to MRTG question here. Does anyone
> know of an 10/100 half/full Ethernet SWITCH (not hub) which can be
> configured NOT to learn which ports addresses live on, so that it ALWAYS
> floods whatever packets it receives to ALL ports?

    Erm, that's exactly what a HUB does.  They flood every port with all
packets, expecting someone to pick them up.  The function of a switch is to
learn what machine/IP is on what port and manage the packets from that point
on.

    As far as I know, HUBs will only do half duplex.  If someone knows of a
full duplex HUB, I'd love to read about it - that'd be a new one on me.

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.