[mrtg] Data interpretation

Curtis Bond Curtis at wagerworks.com
Tue Oct 23 20:34:27 MEST 2001

I have a question regarding how MRTG interprets data. On a MRTG graph,
there are Daily Graph(5minutes), Weekly Graph (30minutes), Monthly Graph
(2 hours), and Yearly Graph(1 year). For example, when you are viewing
the Monthly Graph, does MRTG collect 24 points from the daily graph to
obtain the 2 hour average? Do occasionally spikes skew the results? The
reason I am asking is that I have been using the Max In and Max out from
the monthly graph to do weekly reports on bandwidth usage and trend
analysis. The Max in and Max out numbers on the Monthly Graph has been
changing every week for the past 4 reports I have done. However for some
reason, it's showing the same Max In and Max out # for the past two
weeks.
Our bandwidth utilization is steadily growing and I need to do some
trend analysis so we can order additional bandwidth if necessary. We
need to give our ISP 2-3 weeks advance noticed before they can turn on
the additional bandwidth. Any other tools I should be aware of that can
help me with this. I am currently using Excel spreadsheet to do
bandwidth report, manually inputting the information and charting on a
week to week basis.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Curtis Bond

Sr. Systems Administrator