[mrtg] Re: More newbie questions...

Jeff Liebermann jeffl at comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Fri Oct 26 01:34:27 MEST 2001

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:30:01PM -0500, Tony Andrews wrote:
> Is there any more "in-depth" documentation regarding the setup and
> function of MRTG that anyone here would care to point me toward?

"In-depth"?  How deep would you like to go?  I think there's
enough light to read the documentation down to a depth of
about 30 ft in clear water.  Anything beyond that is too
deep for read.  Be sure to de-compress properly after reading
the docs.

For land-lubbers documentation (not quite as deep), see the
list of links at:
  http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/links.html
  http://faq.mrtg.org

> I'm particularly interested in how rates are calculated based on the bytes
> In/Out information gathered from the device being monitored.

Easy:
   Byte count 5 minutes ago
     minus
   Current byte count
     divided by
   300 seconds.
If the counter wraps, then add 2^32 (for a 32 bit counter)
to the difference in byte counts.

Also see:
   http://faq.mrtg.org/information.html
for how MRTG deals with various types of data.

--
# Jeff Liebermann  Liebermann Design  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz  CA  95060
# 831.336.2558 voice   831.426.1240 fax   831.421.6491 digital_pager