[mrtg] Re: flat graphs using RRDTOOL

Greg DeRenne greg.derenne at openwave.com
Mon Oct 29 23:39:31 MET 2001

Hi Jon (and all),

I'm quite new to this, but noticed something similar, so I thought I'd pass
it along in case it triggered a thought... I've got mrtg up and running on a
Linux box (but not using rrdtool format for logging).  MRTG is graphing
traffic (in/out bytes per second).  I invoke it from the command line like
this:
% ./mrtg ./mrtg.cfg      # Where mrtg.cfg was created with cfgmaker <host>
For some reason, I cannot create a "new" .cfg file with cfgmaker.  (Not a
permissions problem though. ;-)  I finally copied it to a new file and
re-ran mrtg against it, it generated fine HTML, etc.  I then changed the
"new_mrtg.cfg" file.  It has one change (I changed the work directory):
WorkDir: /home/httpd/html/mrtg/gregd        # I created this w/ ok
permissions, etc.
Although I get HTML output in the "gregd" subdirectory, its flat data.
Running mrtg against the "original" mrtg.cfg file one second later shows
traffic.

Is there a bug with  the WorkDir directive?  Are you using it?  I'm also at
a loss...

Thanks,
Greg DeRenne