[mrtg] External program question

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Sep 7 19:35:32 MEST 2001

Ok, now that I've gotten this liitle program working, I've got
some questions I'd like to bounce of the collective knowledge
of the list.

I have been asked to monitor the number of problem tickets that
are open in our Help Desk software program.  After seeing what the
information looks like, it's kinda boring.  Always about 260 open
tickets.  What I thought would be more interesting is the number
of NEW calls opened in the last 5 minutes.  So I figured out that
the call number is incremented each time a new call is opened.
I'm not concerned about closed calls in the same period(yet).
So I can write that info out to a text file, grab it and see that
number.  I did a small sample and it is incrementing at about
5 per 5 minutes.  Should I use the perminute option and still
query every 5 minutes?  Or get the stats hourly and use the
perhour option?  Any thoughts are appreciated...

The other question I have is it is in a character string.  How could
I use sed or awk to strip off the leading 0's?  The statement I
have now:

new_calls=`grep 'incidents' /usr/local/mrtg/repository/numbers.txt | awk '{print $2}'`

produces a string like this:

000000000160267

I just want 160267.  I just can't get the statement right...

Thanks a bunch!

Paul