[mrtg] Wierd traffic spike problem

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Tue Sep 18 15:58:09 MEST 2001

I've been seeing this strange problem that I can't seem to track down. When
my monitoring system looses connectivity and this outage happens to be
during a sample (actually it has to be more than just one sample), the
result is a *huge* spike on the graphs into the many megabits. Normally
MRTG would just do the "assume last" thing, but not in this case -- and
that's what I can't figure out.

The logs will show entries like this:

[timecode] 2135666 123 8654888 12
[timecode] 2135666 123 8654888 12
[timecode] 2135666 123 8654888 12
[timecode] 0 0 0 0

The spike entries will all have the same values, with the one just after
the "0 0 0 0" occasionally being slightly less than those following it.
This looks like MRTG is assuming some value and sticking it it place, but
why *after* connectivity has been restored? And the times during the outage
are all zeros.

Ideas? It eats a lot of time to fix the logs by hand :-(

     -Bill