[mrtg] Re: MRTG methodology

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Sep 28 15:23:51 MEST 2001

5 minutes is an awful lot of polling?  Not hardly.  That's the
standard for network management services of just about
anything I can think of (HPOV, NetView, etc.)  5 seconds
would be too much, 1 minute would be a lot.  5 minutes is
hardly a blip on the radar screen.  I've had to fight to get my
NOC to understand that anything more often than 5 minutes,
and they won't have time to process the alerts, anything more
and they risk being late to the party (whatever that error or fault
may be).

Paul

>>> "Dana Hudes" <dhudes at hudes.org> 09/28/01 09:06AM >>>
btw 5 minutes is an awful lot of polling. consider whether you can live with
less fine-grain information. I run now at 15 minutes monitoring an E1, but if you have a T3 that would
not be a good idea.