[mrtg] Problems with low values and option gauge

html-kurs at gmx.de html-kurs at gmx.de
Wed Apr 3 22:44:25 MEST 2002

Hi,

I'm just exploring mrtg. I've read the docs and I hope I understand it ;-)
But I've got a problem: I'd like to monitor the incoming and
outgoing mails of a server. I found the mailstats-program.
Everything seems to work on a server with much mail traffic.
But running it on a server with just sporadic mails mrtg doesn't show me
those mails.
My mrtg.cfg file looks like this:

WorkDir: /home/mrtg/mrtg/htdocs
Target[sendmail]: `/home/mrtg/mrtg/scripts/sendmailstatus-test.pl`
MaxBytes[sendmail]: 10000
Options[sendmail]: gauge
Title[sendmail]: test
PageTop[sendmail]: <h3>test</h3>

I replaced the program "sendmailstatus" here with a test program.
It returns every second call "1 Mail", every other call "0 Mail". I call
mrtg
every 5 minutes.
After a call with "1 Mail"-return the logfile starts like that:

1017870930  1       1
1017870930  0       0       0       0

So mrtg detects the right return value (But I suppose the second line
should also contain the 1-values).
After the next call (which is a "0 Mail"-return) the whole file contains
only zeros. Where are my mails? ;-)

I hope I've decribed the problem exactly enough. Raising the
"1-Mail"-return to "5-Mails" and using "perminute" (so the average is
greater or equal to 1) doesn't solve the problem.
BTW: using absolute instead of gauge with perminute doesn't show the mails,
too.

I am using mrtg-2.9.18pre3

Haven't I seen anything important?

TIA,