[mrtg] Re: Different traffic on each side of a link

Dana Hudes dhudes at hudes.org
Tue Apr 9 15:34:05 MEST 2002

Broadcast traffic is  definitely going to be a part of any Ethernet even
full-duplex you still have ARP.
That should, however, take a very small amount of the traffic on a
full-duplex link.
Also going through a switch are BPDUs if you have spanning tree enabled.
There's no counter at the IP level to tell you unicast/non-unicast octets
BPDUs are definitely *not* IP; ARP is part of IP.

MIB-II has IfInUcastPackets (AFAIK, might be IfInUcastPkts) and
IfInNUcastPackets (and same for IfOut)

You should be monitoring packet counts anyway .