[mrtg] Disk-usage

Fridtjof Busse fridtjof.busse at gmx.de
Fri Apr 12 14:47:03 MEST 2002

Hi
Whats the best way to monitor the disk-usage of a linux system (how much
space is used or left) over SNMP?
I exactly followed the way (hrStorageTable) described in
http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/tutorial/mrtg/
But mrtg tells me
"Unknown SNMP var hrStorageSize.101"
although it seems to be correct (didn't foget to put the right path to
UCD-SNMP-MIB.txt into mrtg.conf)
$snmpwalk localhost public | grep hrStorageSize
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageSize.101 = 126692
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageSize.102 = 257032

I'm not even sure if these values are correct:
$df
/dev/hdb2             12207540   2064976   9522456  18% /
/dev/hdb1                46636      5957     38271  14% /boot

The dskTable-way also doesn't work on my system (ucd-snmp 4.2.3), if I
put
disk		/ 	100000
into snmpd.conf, snmpd crashes immediatly after startup.
Even values created by snmpconf cause a crash.
So whats the best way to monitor the disk-usage without a local script?
Thanks for any hints.

--
Fridtjof Busse
A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.