[mrtg] Re: PING-PROBE

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Apr 12 21:41:01 MEST 2002

ping-probe is in the contrib directory.  MRTG does not calculate the ping times, ping-probe does.  MRTG just puts them into a nice graph.
SmokePing will never run under MRTG, however ping-probe will
run under RRDTool.  SmokePing is way more advanced than ping-probe,
and way more involved.  It may be overkill if you just want to watch
general response times.  SmokePing is cool, and does not add that much
overhead, but requires RRDTool to run.

>>> <Andres.Tong at jud.ca.gov> 04/12/02 03:26PM >>>

Hello, I've been using the same MRTG ping-probe for about 2 years and now I
can't find anything on it at the MRTG sites. For some reason my probe detects
ping times of 300Msec during peak times  but I am only averaging 30Msec. Is
there someone that can tell me where Ping-probe is and if you have some info to
share that would be great on how MRTG calculates the ping times. Does it ping
every minite and average the times within 5 Minutes? Is Smoke-Ping going to
replace Ping-Probe?

Andres. A. Tong
Sr. Network Engineer
Network Design/ Internet Security
Judicial Council of California - Administrative Office of the Courts
415-865-7406
cell: 415-819-5459