[mrtg] Average value versus max values in the .log files

Alex De Kloet Alex.DeKloet at ippowerhouse.com
Tue Apr 16 14:41:52 MEST 2002

When i look at a .log file which is measuring traffic for a fast ethernet
interface on a Cisco router, i see in the 5 minute polls, diffrent numbers
for the average versus the max values, i understand they should be diffrent
where the 30 min. average etc begin, but should they be
the same where the 5 min lines are ? Most of the time there just a couple
of 100 bytes bigger.

When i calulate the total bytes sent do i use the average or max ?
I read that i should use max. but there was no answer on my question why
they where diffrent.

MRTG does 5 min polls of the 32 bits counters of the interface, how could
the
max figures be bigger for these polls ?

Thanks in advance,

Alex de Kloet