[mrtg] Re: ASUS CUV4X-D & ASUS SNMP Agent

Don Harvie donharvie at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 21 00:57:20 MEST 2002

Hi Cliff / All,

Cliff wrote:

> I have a CUV4X-D mobo with dual 1Ghz processors
> bought a month ago. Currently I'm using ASUS Probe
> or LDCM to read out temps, fan speeds...etc.

The fact you mention LDCM, implies that you're running windows of some
flavour. If this is the case then this may not be useful. But as you
say:

> Any info is much appreciated.

I'm using MRTG to monitor the environmental stats, (Mainly fan speeds &
mb / cpu temps), on some overclocked linux servers. Linux provides
support for system monitoring via lm_sensors and supports the
motherboards I've got - asus dual socket370, abit slot1 & gigabyte
slot1). lm_sensors is available as a kernel module in RH7.2 from kernel
2.4.9-13 on for sure, earlier than than this & you'll probably need to
compile your own kernel & lm_sensors support. At least this is what I
did.

Since I'm running MRTG on a different system I've used NET-SNMP's
(UCD-SNMP) ability to run a command by reading a MIB value.

Add the following to your snmpd.conf:

exec GETEMP1 /usr/local/sbin/getemp1

getemp1 is a one line shell script that returns a single value by
querying lm_sensors via /proc.

/bin/cat /proc/sys/dev/sensors/w83781d-isa-0290/temp1 |/bin/awk '{ print
$3 }' |/bin/sed s/'\.'//g

This value can then be retrieved using snmpget at the following OID:

.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.8.1.101.1

The next exec command in snmpd.conf can be got from

.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.8.1.101.2

and so-on

I'm also using this same method to collect data from the APC SmartUPS
powerchute.dat file on another linux server, (no I don't have the APC
SNMP hardware but this works almost as well - all I miss out is ambient
temp & humidity)

HTH

--
Thanks,