[mrtg] Re: Plot spikes vs. ignore and NaN

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 29 22:37:43 MEST 2002

Today Shipley, Rob wrote:

> When traffic exceeds the max, MRTG sets the value to "NaN". I was wondering
> if it is possible to set this to the value of max instead of ignoring it.
> (if inOctets >= max then inOctets = max) This seems more reasonable than
> just skipping that value. Perhaps there are some repercussions when you do
> this?

Yes, the point is, that by defining MaxBytes to a certin value you
define what traffic there can maximally be. If there is more it
must be wrong and can not be trusted. Thus NaN. If you look at
rrdtool you will see that it even supports NaN values

cheers
tobi

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland