[mrtg] Re: OID's n stuff...

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Wed Aug 7 15:10:23 MEST 2002

> Hi all,
>
> Can someone please take the time and explain how do I find a OID for a
> certain device ?
> For example,
> I want to monitor a Cisco Router 806 model.
> Usually I would ask the list, "Hey, does anybody know the OID value for this
> ?"
>
> Can someone please take sometime to explain how it's done ?
>
> I have a MIB browser, but I have no idea what I'm looking for  :(
>
> Thanks in advance  :)

Here's what works for me:

Download getif from: http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/files/tools/snmp/getif/getif.zip

Install getif to c:\program files\getif

Run getif.exe from the above directory.
(this will verify that everything is correct with getif, and
will build an index of mibs that ship with getif)

Close getif

Get the appropriate mib from the vendor. In your case, you'll
want any mibs that pertain to the interfaces in your 806. Go to
http://cisco.com/public/sw-center/netmgmt/cmtk/mibs.shtml
and select your devices and download some or all of the mibs
for it.

Copy the mib files you got from cisco to c:\program files\getif\mibs

There is a file called .index in c:\program files\getif\mibs
Delete this file.

Run getif again - it will now rebuild the mib index and include
the mibs you just added to it.

After getif loads, click on the Mbrowser tab - the MIB Browser.

With your arrow keys or mouse, navigate the following path
in the tree:
iso -> org -> dod -> internet -> private -> enterprises

If you added any vendor specific mibs the vendor name should be
listed under enterprises. This is where a lot of the interesting stuff
will be - for a cisco, cisco CPU, memory numbers, - anything vendor
specific.

Navigate back to mgmt and follow it to mib-2. Under here you'll
find the mib-2 standard stuff like in/out octets, in/out errors,
interface status.

As you navigate into the mib tree, the corresponding OID will be
displayed in the upper left corner of the getif window.

Caveat to getif:
Getif is not very robust - it crashes easily. I have several mib
files that look just fine in a text editor but if I try to add
them to getif, it will GPF 100% of the time. FORE-COMMON.mib is
one of these, and I have never been able to figure out what is
wrong with it. I _think_ this is a getif problem but I'm not sure
what the deal is. I don't have any other mib browsers to test
against. If anyone is using anything else (that's free) I'd like
to hear about it.