[mrtg] Bigger and slower?

James Overbeck grendel at gmo.jp
Fri Aug 9 04:05:59 MEST 2002

Recently when I upgraded a server monitoring about a hundred Catalysts from
2.9.17 to 2.9.22, I found that load queue on the machine (x86 Solaris 8,
rateup compiled with gcc 2.95.3) jumped from around 2.00 to around 8.00.
MRTG suddenly had problems finishing many of its config files within the
allowed interval.

After looking at other installs on other similar machines and compiled but
never installed versions, I saw that somewhere between 2.9.18pre1 and
2.9.18pre5, rateup just about doubled in size.

The release notes for 2.9.18pre2 contain the following from Tobi:

 * rateup: force rateup to compile static ... try realy hard :-)

I only picked that one because it seemed like the only one that might cause
rateup's size to change drastically. I don't know if these three points are
related or not. I don't know for sure if it's the mrtg perl executable or
rateup that's taking more time to finish. I don't even know for sure if
rateup's size and speed are necessarily related.

My next step is going to be to try each version between 2.9.17 and 2.9.22
(18, 19, 20, and 21) to see exactly which version makes the jump in CPU
usage and time it takes to finish each config file. Has anyone else seen
anything like this?

Best regards,
James