[mrtg] Re: Weekly Max Greater than Daily

Jim McAtee jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com
Wed Aug 14 01:19:54 MEST 2002

Alex,

Thanks for pointing me toward the FAQ and the discussion of normalization.
It would seem that no normalization would be desirable for this type of data
(ie, the max values, or colums 3/4 should always be exactly the same as
columns 1/2.

In configuring these monitors I followed the example included with the
pmlines.pl script and set Options: gauge, absolute.  The goal of the script
(if you're unfamiliar with it) is simply to graph the number of phone lines
in use at any point in time.

>From reading the configuration file documentation, it seems that the gauge
option is desirable for this type of monitoring.  I'm not so sure about
combining 'gauge with 'absolute', however.  It seems that for a "gauge", you
would perform no normalization, since you're not tracking a rate.  Do you
know if using 'absolute' might be causing mrtg to normalize the data?

Jim