[mrtg] Re: Windows NT/2k OID's

Garth K. Williams garth.williams at wtcs.org
Wed Aug 14 16:51:46 MEST 2002

Thanks for the plug Paul!

Windows 2000 COMES with a pile of MIBS!  They are in the WINNT\SYSTEM32
directory.  Each can be added to getif and browsed, where you will get the
fully qualified OID name AND the abbreviated numeric OID.

Simply editing these by hand can also shed light on the OID numbers!

Windows NT 4 however, had NO native SNMP support, so Jan is correct in that
if 10 people compiled a PERFMIB, there COULD be 10 different OID structures,
but ALL would be AFTER the Private Enterprise number for Microsoft (311).
Unfortunately, if John is referring to PERFORMANCE COUNTER OIDs (NT4 or W2K)
he is correct as well.  MS does not provide support for performance OIDs.

I have attempted to keep as many OIDs the same from one version of my
PERFMIB to the new one, simply to make life easier for others, but there are
some counter that simply do not extract correctly in Windows 2000, and MS
provides NO SUPPORT for PERFMIBs anymore.  A list of the OIDS in the SNMP4NT
and SNMP4W2K PERFMIBs are on my site under Implementation/SNMP4W2K.  CHoose
Available Statistics, and you will find this information.

For John's (and others) sake, I have recently enhanced by getif page,
including information on how to add more MIBS, and browse them, as well as
add them to a graph for real-time monitoring.  Go to the site
(www.snmp4tpc.com), and choose Testing and then the Getif link.  You will
directed to the NEW Getif Page.

Regards!

Garth
---
Outgoing mail is determined to be Virus Free.