[mrtg] Re: Weekly Max Greater than Daily

Jim McAtee jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com
Thu Aug 15 19:46:21 MEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex van den Bogaerdt" <alex at ergens.op.HET.NET>
To: "Jim McAtee" <jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com>
Cc: "MRTG users" <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 5:55 PM
Subject: [mrtg] Re: Weekly Max Greater than Daily

> You are *always* tracking a rate (as far as MRTG is concerned).
>
> Gauge    == this is already a rate
> Absolute == compute rate so: dividing current value by time lapsed
> Counter  == compute rate so: dividing difference in the values by
>                              time lapsed
>
> *After* the value has been transformed into a rate (nothing to do
> for gauge) the rate is normalized.  At this point, MRTG doesn't
> know nor care what kind of input it received.

I still have a hard time understanding why you'd normalize a 'gauge' rate.  It
shouldn't matter at what point in time the sample is taken.  The only thing I
can think is that you might want to calculate the rate of change in the rate
(using prior sample history) and use it to project the rate at some timeslot
in the future/past.  I haven't looked at the rateup source to see if it does
this.

With all the non-rate related items people are monitoring with mrtg (I know,
using screwdrivers to hammer nails), you'd think the developers might have
adapted it to handle such tasks.  All you would really need is a simple option
that would be passed to rateup to tell it not to normalize the data.  If you
get a gauge rate somewhere between timeslots at n*300 and (n+1)*300, just
record that rate for time (n+1)*300 and be done with it.

Jim