[mrtg] Re: RRDtool

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Wed Aug 21 12:04:05 MEST 2002

Eric
Just done this one myself. I am using 2000 Pro (SP3) and IIS 5.0

Install MRTG and an up-to-date Perl (install IIS before Perl)
Configure in the normal way and test.

Download RRDtool (x86 version). The read-me is good, follow it.  The 4 .exe
files you want are spread out under the 'src' sub-directories. Copy them to
somewhere obvious (eg c:\rrdtool)
Modify your mrtg.cfg script with the lines:
     PathAdd: c:\rrdtool
     LibAdd: c:\perl\site\lib
     logformat: rrdtool
Run MRTG. It will convert any old .log data into the new RRD format, so you
do not lose your history.
You now have a working RRD system - but no Graphs (read
mrtg-2.9.nn/doc/mrtg-rrd.html)

I tried 14all.cgi
Download the files, copy the .CGI file into your website.
The install.html describes configuring the .cgi file. I used these lines
(my mrtg.cfg is in the mrtg\bin directory):
     #!/perl/bin -w
     use lib qw(/mrtg-2.9.22/lib/mrtg2);
     use lib qw(/perl/site/lib);
     #$cfgfile = '';
     $cfgfiledir = '/mrtg-2.9.22/bin';
Modify your mrtg.cfg: the workdir (or logdir) must have forward slash and
not backslash punctuation, and it seemed not to like drive letters (ie
/inetpub/wwwroot/mrtg and not c:\inetpub\..etc).
Now browse with http://website/14all.cgi?cfg=mrtg.cfg
Install.html offers alternative ways of specifying the cfg file to be used.
I had an issue with the graph using AbsMax instead of MaxBytes for the
vertical axis when using the Unscaled option, and Rainer helpfully provided
the cure.

I also tried Mrtg-RRD.cgi.
Not much documentation. Sets up and works (tweak the CGI in a similar way
to 14all, and add you .cfg(s) in the obvious spot).
In my case it produces the HTML, but fails to display the graphs (which
have been produced correctly). I wrote to this list (no responses) and to
the author (yesterday). If it works for you, let me know.

Problem: CGI takes processing power. I had it on an old recycled
workstation (PII-333) and it takes AGES to produce an index page. Found a
PIII-450 and it is just about usable. Get a good processor if you want to
use the CGI method of output! The amount of RAM is not a problem.
There are a couple of Fast/Speedy CGI offerings around, but they seem VERY
Unix. Again, if you get it going, please let me know how.

Any problems with the above, please feel free to contact me directly

Regards
Peter

                    "Eric VDB"
                    <ericvdb500 at hotma       To:     <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
                    il.com>                 cc:
                    Sent by:                Subject:     [mrtg] RRDtool
                    mrtg-bounce at list.
                    ee.ethz.ch

                    20/08/02 21:38

Hi all,

I'm new to MRTG (looks fantastic btw), and was looking to use RRDtool to
create the graphs.
Is there somewhere a good explanation how to install this on a windoes 2000
machine.

If this is OT, please point me to the correct list.

Greetings Eric