[mrtg] Lan monitoring

Henrik Berg Nielsen n99hbn at nat.sdu.dk
Thu Aug 22 21:17:11 MEST 2002

Hi all!

My first post on this list... Hope someone can help me.

I have a small network with two computers, which are connected via a hub and a Cisco 677 router, which act as a gateway for the two comps.
The machine I'm polling the router from is running win2k and has ip 10.0.0.3. The router has ip 10.0.0.1.

I am currently monitoring the link to the outside world, the WAN link, just fine with mrtg. I also wish to monitor the inside of the network, that is, the LAN traffic between the two computers.

I did a:
perl cfgmaker public at 10.0.0.1 --global "WorkDir d:\webroot\mrtg" --output mrtg.cfg

and it completed without any error messages, but when I look in the produced .cfg file I see, that all interfaces except one is commented out. The only one not commented out is Interface1, which should be the LAN inteface, but as far as I can see it ain't. When I transfer large files between the two computers it won't show up on the graph, even after very long transfers. All that show up is my traffic to the outside world, which is graphed just fine.

I've tried all ports on the router from 0-5 and none them seems to be the LAN link, I'm lost.

Now I would like to know how to set mrtg up to monitor the local traffic too, any help greatly appreciated.