[mrtg] Re: Best box and OS to use

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Aug 22 15:05:16 MEST 2002

There are a few things to consider:

Hard drives.  Best to get SCSI.  Super fast, way better than any
ATA-type device.

Lots more RAM.

OS is fine.

CPU *should* be ok, but with having to upgrade just about everything
else, might as well throw in a new cpu too.

Software.  MRTG has to draw 4 graphs and 1 html page, plus write out
two log fines for every target you poll, every 5 minutes.  Switch to
RRDTool and you get LOTS of processing power back.  You only
lose drawing the graphs, which most likely are not being viewed
all the time.

Move the Webserver to another machine.  In addition to gathering and
redrawing, you also expect that same box to display the stuff as well?

HTH!

Paul

>>> Alan Rader <arader at finishline.com> 08/22/02 08:49AM >>>

Currently I am running on a Celeron 400 with a 3.2gb HDD and 64mb memory
running FreeBsd 4.0.  With the amount of stuff I am watching, I think this
thing is struggling.

What recommendations can the list give me as far as what OS is most stable
and commonly used etc for mrtg?
What kind of hardware is being run?

I have a 733 desktop PC, 20gb and just put 384mb in it I could dedicate to
this for now.  Would this make a big difference for me?  I am getting
emails/reports of lock files since I added my last router with about 450 sub
interfaces and I think it is because it can't finish polling it in time.  I
have had no luck with getting the graphical interface on Freebsd, but with
an install of RH71 and OpenLinux 3.1 being no problem.

Thanks for any info.

Alan Rader
Finish Line, Inc.
Network Administrator
arader at finishline.com
317-899-1022 x3529

This message and any attachments may be confidential or privileged and are
for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the
addressee or intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use, or disclose
this communication to others.  If you have received this in error, please
notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it entirely
from your system.  Delivery of this message and any attachments to any
person other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended in any way to
waive confidentiality or a privilege.  All personal messages express views
only of the sender, which are not to be attributed to Finish Line, and may
not be copied or distributed without this statement.