[mrtg] Re: Best box and OS to use

Erik Jacobsen EJacobsen at illinois.net
Thu Aug 22 15:53:43 MEST 2002

Alan,

I would completely avoid X Windows on a *NIX box in a server role.
First, X in combination with the "cool" desktops like KDE and Gnome
consume a lot of memory.  Second, if you do run X, port 6000 will be
open on your machine.

I have found that MRTG runs pretty good on Pentium II and III class
machines.  As a test, I had MRTG running on a Redhat 7.2, PII 400 MHz
machine with 256MB of RAM and it smoked.  In fact, it left a dual PII
733 running Win2K Server with a gig of memory and RAID 5 array in the
dust.  I am sure this list does not need a thread on the obvious
benefits of Celeron v. Pentium Processors or a UNIX v Winders
discussion.

Erik (My Comments Only!)