[mrtg] Re: Running MRTG as a Service on Win2k

Jim Horwath jhorwath at agere.com
Thu Aug 22 18:23:39 MEST 2002

Nikola,

I recently had to write a windoze service (aka Unix daemon) similiar
(not MRTG) to what you want to do.  You will need to write a C or VB
wrapper around the code to have said program work like a service.  If
you don't when you install the service it will start but windoze service
manager will complain your service didn't start even though it is
running. And you won't be able to use the fancy start, stop and pause
buttons on the services GUI.  Your code must start and communicate with
windoze SCM to keep the service manager happy.  This I found was not a
trivial matter, in fact it was hard (atleast for me).   The work
involved although satisfying when done is tedious.  I have read other
people use something like tkscheduler to run mrtg at specified intervals.

Nikola Vujic wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I just installed and configured MRTG on a windows 2000 server. However,
>I haven't been able to run it as a service, using tools from the
>Resource Kit (inetsrv.exe and srvany.exe). The service is created just
>fine, but I am having problems running it with the needed parameters
>(wperl mrtg --logging=eventlog mrtg.cfg).
>
>Has anyone been successful in doing this, and if so, could you please
>share your knowledge and experience?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Nikola
>
>--