[mrtg] Re: Alteon 180E Total Sessions

jon.hartman at verizon.com jon.hartman at verizon.com
Tue Aug 27 15:57:24 MEST 2002

You know, the more I think about the math, the more that makes sense. I
guess that's really what you'd want to see, anyways...

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

  Jon Hartman
  Network Engineering
  Verizon Internet Operations
  Phone:
  Cell:
214-513-6792
940-453-1111

tony bourke <tony at vegan.net>
08/26/2002 04:18 PM

        To:     <jon.hartman at vol.verizon.com>
        cc:     <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
        Subject:        Re: [mrtg] Re: Alteon 180E Total Sessions

Hi Jon,

Yes, MRTG divides by the number of seconds since the last check, which is
typically around 300 seconds.

Have you been running MRTG for a couple of polling intervals?  I don't see
any problem with the absmax or max.  Perhaps do a snmpget of the OID raw
in 5 minute intervals and compare, to see if the OID is returning the
wrong value.

Tony

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 jon.hartman at verizon.com wrote:

> As I understand the gauge option, it is used only when the counter is a
> meter and not incrementing. In this case, it's total number of sessions,

> so if I'm reading it correctly, I don't want to specify gauge.
Basically,
> It's a counter32 value that constantly increments according to the
number
> of sessions that have been load-balanced since the stats have last been
> cleared. The 5-minute value should equal about 6000, but I'm getting
> results between 10 and 20, instead.
>
> Is MRTG taking the 6000 and dividing it by 300 to get the number per
> second?
>

>   Jon Hartman
>   Network Engineering
>   Verizon Internet Operations
>   Phone:
>   Cell:
> 214-513-6792
> 940-453-1111
>

> tony bourke <tony at vegan.net>
> 08/26/2002 03:59 PM
>

>         To:     <jon.hartman at vol.verizon.com>
>         cc:     <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
>         Subject:        Re: [mrtg] Alteon 180E Total Sessions
>

> Hi Jon,
>
> Are you looking to just see the raw number of packets tranversed
> graphed?  Or are you looking for a rate.
>
> If you're looking for the raw number, put "growright,gauge" in the
options

> field.  That will prevent any math from being done.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Tony
>
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002
> jon.hartman at verizon.com wrote:

> > Greetings. I'm attempting to monitor an alteon 180E that is
> load-balancing
> > via UDP stateless. Since it's set to stateless, there's no current
value

> > counter, but it can tell me how many packets it has load-balanced.
This
> is
> > for RADIUS, so I'm fine with that. The string I'm monitoring is:
> > .1.3.6.1.4.1.1872.2.1.8.2.7.1.3.1 which after 5 minutes works out to
be
> > about 6000, yet when monitoring, the graphs read between 10 and 20.
I'm
> > using the following config to monitor it.
> >
> > Target[ctnacerad1_curly]:

1.3.6.1.4.1.1872.2.1.8.2.7.1.3.1&1.3.6.1.4.1.1872.2.1.8.2.7.1.3.1:IOCINS at dfwaceres1:
> > AbsMax[ctnacerad1_curly]: 100000
> > MaxBytes[ctnacerad1_curly]: 100000
> > Title[ctnacerad1_curly]: Active Sessions - RADIUS (Curly) <I>virt 1 -
> > ctnacerad1</I>
> > PageTop[ctnacerad1_curly]: <H1>Active Sessions - RADIUS (Curly)
<I>virt

Tony Bourke tony at vegan.net