[mrtg] Gauge option still shows rates ?

Dowling, Steve Steve.Dowling at tafensw.edu.au
Thu Aug 29 08:56:47 MEST 2002

mrtGurus,

I've started monitoring our Windoze server stats using Paul Simmonsons
scripts (good stuff Paul!).  I get the perfmon variables recorded into the
mrtg log file OK, no problem there.

These variables are instantaneous variables, therefore I need to use the
'gauge' option.  But it seems that even though I use 'gauge' mrtg still
wants to calculate a rate.  When I measure a slowly varying quantity, the
last recorded value in the log file is correct, but previous values (my
historical data) has been differenced to zero.

Extract of log file:
1030603792 2048 2048
1030603792 0 0 0 0
1030603491 0 0 0 0
1030603200 0 0 0 0
1030602900 0 0 0 0
1030602600 0 0 0 0
1030602300 0 0 0 0
1030602000 0 0 0 0
1030601700 0 0 0 0
1030601400 0 0 0 0

Extract fron config file:
Target[UWFPX1-1]: `c:\perl\bin\perl c:\mrtg\getlog.pl
\\uwfpx1\perflogs\UWFPX1.csv "\\UWFPX1\Memory\Commit Limit"` / 1048576
Title[UWFPX1-1]: \\UWFPX1\Memory\Commit Limit
PageTop[UWFPX1-1]: <H1>\\UWFPX1\Memory\Commit Limit</H1>
MaxBytes[UWFPX1-1]: 100
Options[UWFPX1-1]: growright, gauge, nopercent, transparent
YLegend[UWFPX1-1]: legend text
ShortLegend[UWFPX1-1]: MegaBytes
Legend1[UWFPX1-1]:
Legend2[UWFPX1-1]:
Legend3[UWFPX1-1]:
Legend4[UWFPX1-1]:
LegendI[UWFPX1-1]: &nbsp;Max:
LegendO[UWFPX1-1]: &nbsp;Min:

Yes, you're right; the Commit Limit is a constant; I still expect to see
that constant logged though, not the succession of zeros I've got.

Any ideas?

Steve Dowling