[mrtg] snmpwalk and mrtg

morten mobo at mobo.dk
Fri Dec 6 10:56:40 MET 2002

hi

I have been trying to install some mrtg on my webserver and I have been more or
less successful.

I have tried to make 4 graphs: eth0, cpu, mem and swap mem usage.

I looked at the net-snmp site and found a brief mrtg guide, descriping how to
acces the cpu, mem and swap mem variables.

For cpu, I want to use ssCpuRawUser.0, ssCpuRawNice.0 and ssCpuRawSystem.0.
When I use
        $ snmpwalk localhost public ssCpuRawUser.0
I get
        enterprises.ucdavis.systemStats.ssCpuRawUser.0 = Counter32: 3190808
which is what I want. The problem is that mrtg doesn't accept this as an snmp
var. What to do?

My workaround was to use the entire oid, found using
        $ snmpwalk localhost public ssCpuRawUser.0 -On
and I have the OID
        .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.11.50.0 = Counter32: 3193369
This results in illegible target strings :-(

But this workaround only works for the cpu part. The output for the memory
parts are all zero, with no errors.

I have included the cfg file.
The computer is running debian with mrtg 2.9.17

Any help is appreciated.
mo

--
E-Mail: morten <mobo at mobo.dk>