[mrtg] Re: Graph centered on average, ignoring peaks

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Dec 6 19:35:21 MET 2002

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 10:55:53AM -0500, Lemaire, David W. wrote:

> If I could simply set the axis maximium to twice the average current
> bandwidth I would be all set. Since I am not a perl or RRD expert, I have
> not been able to find the controlling variables for this.

1: determine what time period to graph (in your script have
   "--end 1039199470 --start end-24h"  or so ready)
2: get the average:
       [normal rrdtool stuff without any graphing]
       PRINT:ds0:AVERAGE:"%15.0lf"
       PRINT:ds1:AVERAGE:"%15.0lf"
   (note: this reads PRINT, not GPRINT !!!)
3: in your script: read in the values from step 2
4: determine what the maximum value should be
5: do the normal rrdtool stuff, including graphing, and use the
   calculated rate from step 4 as the maximum value

For "normal rrdtool stuff" see the tutorial, use 14all.cgi as a
template and/or hire someone to do the job.

HTH
Alex