[mrtg] Re: MRTG + RRDTool

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sun Dec 8 21:04:18 MET 2002

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 10:27:27PM -0500, Derek Belrose wrote:

> I have setup MRTG to store it's data in RRDTool and now I'm trying to do
> a total calculation of bandwidth from the beginning of the month till
> now.  I haven't applied any patches and am running the latest release of
> MRTG.

An average number of bytes per second, multiplied with a number
of seconds, gives you an amount of bytes.

It shouldn't be hard to setup a grapher script (read the tutorial
if necessary) that displays, for instance, 30 days worth of data.

Normally you'd display the average rate during this period.  If
you multiply the data by 30*24*60*60, you can display an accurate
estimate of the total number of bytes transfered.

Use a CDEF to do the multiplication. Some of the relevant lines
in the grapher script:

    --start end-30d
    DEF:ds0=/path/to/some.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE
    CDEF:whatever=ds0,2592000,*
    GPRINT:ds0:AVERAGE:"Average: %6.2lf%sBytes\n"
    GPRINT:whatever:AVERAGE:"Total:   %6.2lf%sBytes\n"

And yes, this isn't an MRTG question so you should use the rrdtool
users list.  But first browse through the archives for some useful
stuff.

HTH
Alex