[mrtg] Re: Cisco_router_cpu_monitoring

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Dec 13 14:58:11 MET 2002

>From: Sander Foppen [mailto:sander.foppen at tnf.nl]

>You need to use the following OIDs

>Cisco Local CPU avgBusy1   .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.57
>Cisco Local CPU avgBusy5   .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.58
No, you should stop using the long deprecated (over five years!)
cisco-monolithic mib and use the modern equivalent in the CISCO-PROCESS-MIB.
Do a walk on:
snmpwalk -c public ip.of.router cpmCPUTotalEntry -m CISCO-PROCESS-MIB
to determine which OIDs your particular box supports

>Cisco Temperature          .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3
The 2600 series does not support temperature monitoring.  The only heat
related mib contains only three values: not so hot, getting warm, and
melting -- shutdown imminent.

If you really want temperature, I have had the best success with an exterior
box called the SP2+ made by Uptime Devices (www.uptimedevices.com).  I've
got them scattered all over my network, they poll easily with mrtg, have a
built-in web server for really trivial configuration, and will even e-mail
you if it crosses a temperature threshhold.  I have mine set up to be polled
by mrtg, the results sent to big brother using bbmrtg.pl, and then I let Big
Brother page me for temperature and humidity extremes.

/* std. disclaimer - I don't have any financial ties to UptimeDevices, just
a satisfied customer*/

Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CNX
Lan/Wan Integrator
Austin Energy