[mrtg] Configuring MRTG on RH 8.0

Kerry Cox kerry.cox at ksl.com
Mon Dec 16 16:37:02 MET 2002

I have a couple MRTG machines at home with the latest Red Hat 8.0. They
are set up to use my wireless broadband connection. I have tried both
2.9.25 and 2.9.26a and both seem to fail on the GD portion of the
configuration, even though I am using the GD rpm. I even tried using the
latest GD source and explained in the UNIX instructions. Compiled MRTG
tens of times on various boxen without seeing this error.
MRTG works fine on my office Red Hat 8.0 test machine.
Here's the error message.

checking for gdImageGif in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg_ft in -lgd... no
checking for gdImageGd in -lgd... yes
checking gd.h usability... yes
checking gd.h presence... yes
checking for gd.h... yes

** The GD library is required for rateup to compile.
   Get it from http://www.boutell.com, compile it and
   use either --with-gd-lib=DIR and --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify
   its location. You might also have to use --with-z-inc, --with-z-lib
   and --with-png-inc, --with-png-lib for gd versions 1.6 and higher.
   Check config.log for more information on the problem. If your system
   has libgd installed, you probably mis the gd.h header file.

   Consider following the instructions in doc/unix-guide.txt
[root at pluto mrtg-2.9.25]# rpm -q gd
gd-1.8.4-9
[root at pluto mrtg-2.9.25]# rpm -q gd-devel
gd-devel-1.8.4-9

Then using the latest gd source code as per instructions.

[root at pluto mrtg-2.9.25]# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mrtg-2
--with-gd=/usr/local/src/gd --with-gd-lib=/usr/local/src/gd
--with-gd-inc=/usr/local/src/gd

<-- configure routine -->
<-- ends with same error -->

checking for the presence of MacOS X... uff, that was close
checking for gdImageGif in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg_ft in -lgd... no
checking for gdImageGd in -lgd... yes
checking gd.h usability... yes
checking gd.h presence... yes
checking for gd.h... yes

** The GD library is required for rateup to compile.
   Get it from http://www.boutell.com, compile it and
   use either --with-gd-lib=DIR and --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify
   its location. You might also have to use --with-z-inc, --with-z-lib
   and --with-png-inc, --with-png-lib for gd versions 1.6 and higher.
   Check config.log for more information on the problem. If your system
   has libgd installed, you probably mis the gd.h header file.

   Consider following the instructions in doc/unix-guide.txt

Sorry for the stupid question, but I haven't seen this before and it
works just fine on several of my work test 8.0 machines. I apologize if
the answer is obvious.
Thanks.
KJ

-- Type: application/pgp-signature
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
-- Size: 233 bytes