[mrtg] Re: 14all.cgi & routers.cgi very slow

bwoodcoc bwoodcoc at genuity.com
Wed Dec 18 16:48:49 MET 2002

I built my own version of looping cfgmaker to produce the configs. It is
hardcoded to what I want monitored. For instance:

- thruput
- ifErrors and ifDiscards (In + Out for each for the two lines)
- thresholds on everything
- output file name specific for navigation tools (ie. device.ifIP)

Because I am not interested in user ports I can make the build process go
much quicker. Tobi needs to be all things to all people with cfgmaker and
it is a bang up script for multiple uses. But I only need to meet my needs
so it is stripped down. It goes after the IP address table and if Cisco the
CDP table. From this short list (especially if a switch) I pull the
relevant interface values. This is far less than pulling the entire
interface tables then filtering after the fact.

Maybe this is something for tobi to review for future versions of cfgmaker
if enough find it appropriate. Although it is a different tact as a
starting point for getting interface data. However he may be able to add
getting the cdp table and assign filter criteria for only applying configs
for interfaces with an IP or CDP neighbor. This would not be a more
efficient build because his starting point for cfgmaker is still to get all
interface data, however it may be MUCH more efficient for users who only
want graphs on infrastructure ports (which is how this thread started).

cheers,
brad...