[mrtg] Re: Weird Graphs

Brander, Eric Eric.Brander at ACS-INC.com
Thu Dec 19 14:05:38 MET 2002

You are probably encountering false readings because of counter wrap.  If
you are polling the 32-bit snmp counter on your device, the counter will
reset back to 0 multiple times in a 5 minute period at high bandwidth
utilization.  Try polling the 64-bit counter (if any... check your mib).
Also... I've had problems with MRTG properly dealing with numbers larger
than 32-bit in its calculations.  The latest version has a 64-bit rateup
that may solve those problems as well, but I understand its not quite a
stable release yet. /shrug

Eric

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Hakan Durgut [mailto:hakandurgut at bnet.net.tr]
Sent:	Thursday, December 19, 2002 5:23 AM
To:	mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject:	[mrtg] Weird Graphs

I am monitoring my Lucent CBX ATM Switch's STM4 ( OC12 ) physical port's
IN/OUT traffic via MRTG,

the blue lines ( OUT ) sometimes decrease and increase back to the
normal traffic,

with some other SNMP tools, I get the right values, for example in the
graph, in between 9 and 19:30 the traffic is really high, but I get
wrong values.

Any Idea ? I guess my MRTG does it with the values higer than 110 Mbps,
my other example is my Total Border traffic ( upstreams + satelite +
peerings )

PS : I run mrtg-2.9.17

Thanks. ,
Hakan