[mrtg] Re: Displaying the MRTG Banner Images

Brown, James (IP) jbbrown at lehman.COM
Thu Dec 19 20:46:23 MET 2002

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info, but do you still have to create a link for every
workdir ?

I was hoping there would be a config change somewhere in MRTG which would
point the banners to a different location.

James.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Davis [mailto:andrew at socallinuxsolutions.com]
Sent: 19 December 2002 18:54
To: Brown, James (IP)
Cc: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: Re: [mrtg] Displaying the MRTG Banner Images

Short answer: symlinks

Example:
mrtg images are in /usr/local/mrtg/images

graphs are in /usr/local/mrtg/workdir/

ln -s /usr/local/mrtg/images/* /usr/local/mrtg/workdir/
(the wildcard may not work for you, so you may need to do it file by
file... ln -s /usr/local/mrtg/images/img.png
/usr/local/mrtg/workdir/img.png).

Keep in mind that the dir will need to be secured and that your web
server will need to be able to follow symlinks.

I did just what you describe as I use a different dir for the graphs for
each host I monitor.

Brown, James (IP) wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> As a supporter of MRTG, I prefer to keep the MRTG banner at the end of
each
> page.
>
> The problem is that the URL for mrtg-l.png, mrtg-m.png, mrtg-r.png all
point
> to the WorkDir and for me, this means manually copying all these images
into
> the work dir, for every graph I generate.
>
> I was hoping to create a central image directory (/images) and place one
> copy of the banner images there, but I can't see any way of achieving
this.

> Could anyone help please?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> James.

> --
> James Brown
> Network Systems, Lehman Brothers.

> This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the
designated recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient
of this message you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination,
communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as
an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial
product, an official confirmation of any transaction, or as an official
statement of Lehman Brothers.  Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be
secure or error-free.  Therefore, we do not represent that this information
is complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such.  All
information is subject to change without notice.

> --

Andrew Davis, Founder
SoCalLinuxSolutions
andrew at socallinuxsolutions.com
760-525-4689

SoCalLinuxSolutions.com
Linux Consultation & Integration Services