[mrtg] Re: Wrong Port #s! (CISCO)

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Dec 27 14:32:30 MET 2002

From: Brander, Eric [mailto:Eric.Brander at ACS-INC.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2002 9:00 AM
To: 'Mohamed Salameh'; mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Re: Wrong Port #s! (CISCO)

>I could be wrong, but it appears that you are confusing port number with
>instance number.    Try adding "--ifdesc=name" on your cfgmaker line and
see
>if that helps to label the ports correctly.  Might need "-descint" too, but
>I'm not certain on that.

Right.

On the 2900XL, make certain you are running fairly recent code.  Early
versions had lots of snmp problems.

The reason the unused ports are not showing up is that Cisco reports the
ifSpeed as zero on autonegotiate ports before they have negotiated.  If you
either set the bandwidth statement on the cisco (e.g. bandwith 100000000)
before running config maker, or manually edit your config to set a
reasonable max-bytes value, then the un-used ports will show up.

Note: on the configmaker line, you don't need to repeat the global values
for each target.