[mrtg] mrtg/rateup logfile corruption problems

paul beard paulbeard at mac.com
Mon Feb 4 18:44:56 MET 2002

I seem to be having a recurrence of this logfile corruption
problem. I have made no changes to the configuration since last
night but just now, I started getting notifications that the
logfile is suddenly corrupt.

here's the Target line:

Target[red-root]:`/usr/local/bin/snmpget -m all -Oqv red public
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageSize.1
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageUsed.1`&`perl
-e 'print time();'`&"red-root"

the last two values are to comply with the requirement that 4
values be returned: recall that passing the output of any uptime
value would cause an immediate logfile corruption.

here are the values returned by the snmpget request:

[/usr/local/etc/mrtg]# /usr/local/bin/snmpget -m all -Oqv red
public
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageSize.1
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageUsed.1
99183
42891

and here's the logfile:

1012843501 0   0  !
1012843501 99183 99183 99183 99183
1012842902 99183 99183 99183 99183
1012842900 99183 99183 99183 99183

first of all, why are the two values not being logged at all? and
why the sudden corruption problem if nothing has changed?

I'm starting to lose faith in MRTG and SNMP for all the simplest
(ie, traffic) queries.