[mrtg] Re: Histrorical data into MRTG

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Feb 8 16:00:09 MET 2002

You can do it, but it would be painful and not what you are hoping for.
MRTG averages data as it gets older.  So when you see a peak of 120 for
a day, but there is an average of 10 people on the system, when you look
at the monthly or yearly graph, it will look like 30 (maybe) people on a 2 hour
average or like 10 on the yearly graph.

If you use MRTG without RRDTool, you can just enter the numbers into
the .log file, using an existing timestamp entry.  Once you see the format, you could probably write a script to read in the time stamp, convert it to whatever time you are looking for, and inserting the data you want.

Adding RRDTool adds quite a bit of complexity, but judging from your website,
I don't think you use RRDTool.

Paul

>>> "ServiceCenter resources" <sc at sc-resources.net> 02/08/02 12:39AM >>>

If I have some historical data for a week or month in form a a series of numbers is it possible to feed these data into mrtg?

What I would like to do is to have a graph that shows the numbers of users on my website since a certain date, I can get the numbers by day from a database but how can I get it into MRTG so that graph show that 2 weeks ago I had 90 users 3 weeks ago I had 80 users etc. Is that possible?

Regards Tommy