[mrtg] Re: Help

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Mon Feb 11 19:48:18 MET 2002

> Check your maxbytes.  It might be set incorrectly if it's looking lower
> than expected.
>
> Ours is set to 1250000 (Full T1)

1250000 seems a little high for bytes on a T1. A full T is 193000
bytes/sec or 1544000 bits/sec. 1250000 is bytes/sec for a 10mbit
ethernet. Overstating the MaxBytes typically won't affect the graphs
very much (unless you're using unscaled) but will skew the percentage
numbers.

> >I'm a new user to MRTG and looking for some help to get MRTG correctly
> >working to monitor my t1, it says my output is far less than it should be,
> >and just wondering if i've done something wrong.

The problem here maybe just the perception. Keep in mind that unless
you're using the 1-minute poll patch of MRTG you're only going to get
an average utilization over five minutes. Try kicking off an ftp job
that will last about ten minutes (~100 megs will run a 24 channel
T1 at full capacity for about ten minutes without any other traffic)
and see what your graph shows then.

Beware though this may introduce some high latency for the duration
of the file transfer so you may want to wait until after hours if
this is an uber-important production link.