[mrtg] 'at' sign in snmp community name

Mark Shackelford mark.shackelford at acs-inc.com
Thu Feb 14 18:52:22 MET 2002

Hi! I'm running MRTG v2.9.17 with RRDTool v1.0.33, which seriously rocks.

However, I am having a problem monitoring some of our Cisco C3548XL
switches. They are set up using Cisco Switch Clustering, which makes all
the switches manageable as if they were one switch. They share one IP
address and are managed via a Java GUI or good the old IOS command line.
I have no problems collecting and graphing data on the master switch,
which is addressed as  'secret at c3548-1'.

The interesting part is that to collect SNMP data from any switch except
for the master switch, one has to pass the community name plus the
switch cluster member name, separated by an 'at' sign. Here's a sample
from my mrtg.cfg file:

    Target[c3548-1.50]: 50:secret\@es2 at c3548-1
    MaxBytes[c3548-1.50]: 125000000
    Title[c3548-1.50]: C3548-A (): GigabitEthernet0/1
    PageTop[c3548-1.50]: <H1>Traffic Analysis for GigabitEthernet0/1
     </H1>
     <TABLE>
       <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>C3548XL in Closet A Rack A</TD></TR>
       <TR><TD>Maintainer:</TD><TD></TD></TR>
       <TR><TD>Interface:</TD><TD>GigabitEthernet0/1 (50)</TD></TR>
       <TR><TD>IP:</TD><TD> ()</TD></TR>
       <TR><TD>Max Speed:</TD>
           <TD>125.0 MBytes/s (ethernetCsmacd)</TD></TR>
      </TABLE>

In case this get mangled, the paraphrased community name is 'secret
backslash at es2 at c3548-1'. The backslash escapes the first 'at' sign
so MRTG doesn't blow up, and I dug far enough down when debugging to see
that the name is getting passed to the SNMP code correctly. However, the
SNMP poll times out and returns blanks instead of numbers.

This used to work with an older version of MRTG, but I don't recall the
version number.

So, does anyone else have any experience with SNMP community names with
embedded 'at' signs?

Thanks!

--
Mark Shackelford