[mrtg] Re: mrtg vs. rrdtool

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Feb 14 21:52:28 MET 2002

Cricket uses RRD.  I'm not very familiar with Cricket, so I can't comment on exactly how to set it up.

I would think you could set up a target similar to MRTG in Cricket.
You'd need to read the Cricket docs to verify.

Not sure on the last question, but I'm sure would be quickly answered
in the Cricket docs.

Paul
>>> <Daniel_Casey at jbhunt.com> 02/14/02 03:12PM >>>

Well, sorta.  I'm doing basic vmstat output parsing to get data like:

25
15
60

For something like CPU %idle, usr, and sys.  So what I'm curious
about is will that same data be useful to rrdtool for graphing?
What about Cricket?

Does rrd or cricket let you setup a target similar to mrtg that is
a series of commands or a script and then graph the data?

Or, does rrd/cricket look for data created by something else and
the "feed" off the data to create a graph?

Thanks again.

                    "Paul C.
                    Williamson"             To:     <Daniel_Casey at jbhunt.com>, <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
                    <pwilliamson at mand       cc:
                    tbank.com>              Subject:     Re: [mrtg] mrtg vs. rrdtool

                    02-14-2002 12:37

It all depends on how you are going to collect the data.

If you use MRTG to collect the data, RRDTool to store the data,
and something else to display the data, the change is easy.
It has to look exactly the same.

If you are going to do something like Cricket or NRG, the data
*could* look the same, but doesn't have to.

If you are going to write something custom that uses RRDTool as
the backend, the data doesn't have to look anything like what
MRTG uses.

Does that answer your question?

Paul

>>> <Daniel_Casey at jbhunt.com> 02/14/02 11:31AM >>>

Anyone know about the differences between mrtg and rrdtool as far
as how the data has to look for rrdtool?

Would there be much modification to my current system scripts in other
words?

Thanks.