[mrtg] Re: Bug in 2.9.18pre1 cfgmaker ifref, ifdesc?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sun Feb 24 00:48:59 MET 2002

Yesterday doug moore wrote:

> I am running MRTG 2.9.18pre1 on Win2k (i know get a real OS). I
> am running it against cisco 3640 and 2924XL devices using the
> ifref and ifdesc options to use either: IP,name or description.
> But I am still getting the default which is interface number
> reference.

Hi Doug,

The only unique interface identification is the interface number.
When you use --ifref, cfgmaker will try to reference all interfaces
by the given method unles it is not unique, then the interface will
still be referenced by interface nubmer because this is guaranteed
to be unique.

cheers
tobi

> Is anyone else having this problem?  the docs say "ifdesc--desc"
> will place the description into the Title property and into the
> PageTop html. I can use IP, Name, description and nothing appears
> in but the "router interface number".
>
> Both:
> Descr: 'Serial2/1:0' | Name: 'Se2/1:0' | Ip: '172.16.128.5'
>
> are found by cfgmaker and placed in the mrt.cfg file. my MRTG.cfg
> file confirms that the commandline is processing the ifdesc and
> ifref.
>
> But using the ifref with ip, name, desc or even eth does not give
> anything but what I would get by not specifying any option.
>
> suggestions?
>

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi