[mrtg] Re: [mrtg]: missed snmp poll problem?

Barry_Young at interliant.com Barry_Young at interliant.com
Tue Feb 26 18:23:15 MET 2002

Additional information....

I am running mrtg 2.9.17 and experience spikes on the graph whenever the
SNMP poll cannot reach the target device.  This occurs whenever there is a
routing failure or inability to connect to the target.  This then requires
a manual edit of the log file to remove eroneous entries, which can be a
major exercise when monitoring several hundred devices.

I cannot recall experiencing this on mrtg 2.8.x at previous companies
(maybe the networks were more stable??).

I understood that mrtg took the difference between the last poll and the
current counters and then averaged the traffic load over the time
difference between the polls?  Maybe there is a problem when mrtg cannot
poll and consequently this knocks on to the calculation?  If this is a code
problem, I would love a fix if there is one in the pipeline..... :-)

HTH
This message contains information intended only for named recipients.
If you have received this message in error, please delete it from your
system and notify the sender immediately by e-mail.
Information transmission via email cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
error-free. The sender does not accept liability for errors or omissions in
the contents of this message arising as a result of e-mail transmission
problems.